Director of Financial Aid
COVENANT COLLEGE Financial Aid
Lookout Mountain,GA 30750
STAFF POSITION DESCRIPTION
POSITION: Director of Financial Aid
PREPARED BY: Matthew Bryant
APPROVED BY: Pat Semtner
DATE: February, 2013
RESPONSIBILITY: The Director of Financial Aid is responsible for the administration of financial aid in a regulatory compliant manner. The Director is also responsible for the collective four goals of the enrollment team: 1) meeting enrollment goal of new students 2) reducing the discount rate 3) insuring student fit for Covenant and 4) improving the graduation rate. They report to the Chief Enrollment Officer
- Compliance: Maintain institutional eligibility for federal and state financial programs.
- Institutional Financial Aid Programs
- Read the Federal Student Aid (FSA) Handbook, various web sites including Information Federal Aid Personnel (IFAP) attend training opportunities and other means available in order to stay informed of and to properly implement federal and state regulations.
- Design institutional policies and procedures to insure compliance in these issues.
- Provide information to other areas of the college affected by regulations.
- Develop office procedures and awarding strategies for utilizing all available institutional, state, federal and private financial resources in an efficient and effective manner within institutional, state, and federal regulations.
- Coordinate analysis of student eligibility. Administer and direct the awarding of financial aid with the assistance of an awarding committee.
- Maintain connections and understanding of all federal and state databases in order to obtain and send information as required.
- File all required state and federal financial reports including the FISAP and IPEDS.
- Maintain accurate financial aid student records according to federal and state standards.
- Maintain all documentation required as proof of compliance.
- Approve all internships and study abroad experiences where student utilizes federal funds.
a. Assist in the development of and implement institutional objectives of awarding financial aid.
b. Develop and maintain statistical information that will assist in making budgetary decisions.
c. Develop and maintain systems and strategies that will maintain a proper flow of information to various constituencies both on and off campus.
d. Accurately award all institutional funds meeting the qualifications set by donors, organizations and institutional policies.
- Supervise the Financial Aid Office and its employees in accordance with college management principles of integrity, justice, enjoyment and community. Utilize team management practices as much as possible. Manage the department budget within parameters agreed to with the Chief Enrollment Officer.
STAFF POSITION DESCRIPTION page 2
POSITION: Director of Financial Aid
- Develop office procedures and programs to counsel students and parents about financial aid through Campus Preview Weekend seminars and local high school presentations, etc.
- Design and implement systems and processes to provide financial aid offers to all financial aid applicants in traditional and non-traditional programs. Move students through the process and approve final disbursement of funds in coordination with the Accounting Office.
- Serve as part of the Enrollment Team. Work closely with admissions and retention areas to maximize student enrollment goals.
- Serve as the chief strategist for financial aid policy and awarding procedures. Demonstrate consistent understanding of overall enrollment challenges in higher education and when necessary, work with other enrollment stakeholders to identify new and creative solutions for the administration of financial aid
- Fulfill such other duties as assigned by the Chief Enrollment Officer
1. Bachelors degree. Masters degree preferred.
2. Five years experience in higher education financial aid
3. A thorough understanding of the commitment of Covenant as a Christian liberal arts college.
4. Ability to initiate and implement projects and procedures in an efficient and effective manner.
5. Ability to understand, interpret and implement legislation from State and Federal sources.
6. Knowledge of computer operations specific experience in SCT Banner preferred.
7. Initiative, judgment, and ability to deal with confidential matters.
- Ability to communicate in written and verbal form.
9. Experience in managing multiple tasks and personnel performing multiple tasks that require frequent change.