Scott C. Jones
Associate Professor of Biblical Studies
On faculty since 2005
Ph.D., Princeton Theological Seminary, 2007
M.Div., Reformed Theological Seminary, 2001
B.A., University of Mississippi, 1999
I am interested in Hebrew poetry, ancient Near Eastern thought, and the reception history of the Bible. Most of my work relates to Israelite and ancient Near Eastern wisdom literature. For the last several years, my research has focused on the poetry of the book of Job. I am currently working on two major projects: the first is an introduction to Israelite Wisdom Literature, and the second is a commentary on Psalms 1-41 for the Illuminations commentary series. In all my work I am giving more and more attention to the use and impact of biblical texts - both intended and unintended - on ancient and modern cultures.
I am the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible editor for the Illuminations commentary series, published by Wm. B. Eerdmans.
I enjoy family vacations, playing with my kids, rock climbing, disc golf, hiking, and watching football (American).
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Catholic Biblical Association
I regularly teach the following courses at Covenant College:
- BIB 111: Old Testament Introduction
- BIB 201: Current Issues in Biblical Studies
- BIB 327: Psalms
- BIB 397: The Old Testament World
- BIB 475: Wisdom Literature
- GRE 175-176 Elementary Greek I-II
- HEB 191-192: Elementary Hebrew I-II
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "Corporeal Discourse in the Book of Job," Journal of Biblical Literature, forthcoming.
- "Lions, Serpents, and Lion-Serpents in Job 28:8 and Beyond," Journal of Biblical Literature 130 (2011): 663-686.
- Rumors of Wisdom: Job 28 as Poetry. Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft 398. Edited by John Barton et al. Berlin and New York: de Gruyter, 2009.
- "Moabite Stone," in The New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. Volume 4:126-128. Ed. Katharine Doob Sakenfeld. Nashville, Tenn.: Abingdon, 2009.
- "Qohelet's Courtly Wisdom: Ecclesiastes 8:1-9," Catholic Biblical Quarterly 68 (2006): 211-28.
- "Wisdom's Pedagogy: A Comparison of Proverbs vii and 4Q184," Vetus Testamentum 53 (2003): 65-80.
Fall 2013 Courses
BIB111 Old Testament Introduction
BIB450 Old Testament World
COR100 The Christian Mind