Associate Professor of Music
On faculty since 2013
DMA, The University of Arizona, 2011
MM, Temple University, 1999
BM, Covenant College, 1997
With an expertise in choral conducting, I am deeply intrigued by the interaction of human movement and its effect on vocal production and communication. I am an active adjudicator, clinician, and guest conductor of ensembles ranging from collegiate to elementary amateurs.
I am passionate about teaching the discipline of music because it is a direct result of being in union with Christ (Colossians 3:16 & Psalm 150). It is for this reason that I am dedicated to the building up the singing tradition especially in Reformed churches. I am committed to the type of excellence that is both historically informed and culturally relevant. I seek to accomplish this through the auspices of vibrant communities committed to living life aloud to the glory of God in music. Such is evidenced by the fact that I have had my students perform on the stage of Carnegie Hall, collaborate with ensembles such as the Regina Symphony Orchestra, and graduate from renowned schools in music such as The Julliard School, Northwestern University, and Pepperdine University.
After being married since 1996 to my wife Jennifer, I am grateful for having four delightful children. Colby, Tallis, Allie, and Jocelyn are wonderful gifts from the Lord. Together with my family I enjoy road trips, movies, and eating cheeseburgers. Several of my “life goals” include driving a semi-truck, learning to read Hebrew & Greek proficiently, and taking cello lessons.
Because I benefitted directly from my time as a student at Covenant College, I have a deep-seated concern for undergraduate students. My wife and I thoroughly enjoy having students in our home on a weekly basis as well as taking students on local and long-distance tours to engage God’s people. In addition to my work with the choirs and teaching music history, it is not unusual to see me hanging out with students at sporting events, movie nights, and other informal gatherings. I love students and being a college professor in a Christian liberal arts community.
- American Choral Directors Association
- Psalter-Hymnal Committee of the United Reformed Churches of North America and the Orthodox Presbyterian Church
Selected Presentations, Adjudications, and Publications
- Joint performance of Johannes Brahms’ Ein deutches Requiem with the Regina Symphony Orchestra: Regina, April 2013.
- Guest Clinician at Cornerstone Christian Academy: Moose Jaw, April 2013.
- Guest Clinician at Luther College: Regina, April 2013.
- Guest Clinician at Our Redeemer High School: Minot, April 2013.
- Guest Clinician at Vanier Collegiate: Moose Jaw, April 2013.
- Guest Clinician at Swift Current Comprehensive: Swift Current, March 2013.
- Guest Clinician for the Saskatoon Choral Festival: Saskatoon, March 2013.
- Guest Conductor for the Halcyon Chamber Singers: Regina, December 2012.
- “The Reformation According to Nehemiah.” Lecture Series presented at Redeemer Reformation Church: Regina, October 2012.
- Guest Clinician for Immanuel Christian Academy: Lethbridge, September 2012.
- Choral Clinician for the Lethbridge Evangelical Worship Festival: Lethbridge, September 2012.
- Rehearsal Conductor for the Masterworks Choral Festival on behalf of Bruce Chamberlain in preparation for Johannes Brahms’ Nänie and his Schicksaslied: Carnegie Hall in NYC, May 2012.
- Guest Clinician for Rosthern Junior College: Rosthern, March 2012.
- “A Guide for Faculty Regarding Recruitment & Retention of Students.” Lecture presented on behalf of the Vice President Academic for faculty consideration at Briercrest College & Seminary in conjunction with Dr. David Catterick: Caronport, March 2012.
- Finch, Scott M. The Prominence of Hebrew Syntax in Leonard Bernstein’s Chichester Psalms. D.M.A. Dissertation, The University of Arizona, December 2011.
- Guest Conductor for Halcyon Chamber Singers: Regina, November 2011.
- “Cultivating a Courageous Choir.” A Lecture Demonstration at the Regional Conference for the Saskatchewan Choral Federation: Regina, November 2011.
- Guest Clinician for Valley Christian Academy: Osler, May 2011.
- Guest Clinician for Our Redeemer Christian School: Minot, April 2011.
- “Worship: A Musical Tapestry.” Lecture Demonstration for the Advancement Workshop for Church Musicians: Caronport, November 2010.
- Guest Clinician for Immanuel Christian Academy: Lethbridge, October 2010.
- “Setting Your Affections.” The Keynote Commencement Address for Caronport High School: Caronport, June 2010.
- Guest Clinician for Calgary Christian School: Calgary, May 2010.
- Guest Clinician for Koinonia Christian School: Olds, May 2010.
- Guest Clinician for Lacombe Christian Academy: Lacombe, May 2010.
- Guest Clinician for Abbotsford Traditional School: Abbotsford, April 2010.
- Guest Clinician for Mennonite Educational Institute: Abbotsford, April 2010.
- Guest Clinician for the Chamber Singers of The University of Regina: Regina, March 2010.
- Guest Clinician for Swift Current Comprehensive: Swift Current, February 2010.
- “The Prominence of Hebrew Syntax in Leonard Bernstein’s Chichester Psalms. An Interview Lecture at Briercrest College & Seminary: Caronport, April 2009.
- “Hallmark Hymns Hindering Heretics.” A 13-Week Adult Forum presented at Rincon Mountain Presbyterian Church: Tucson, Spring 2009.
- AMEA District Small Ensemble Auditions: Chicago, January 2008, 2009.
- Sectional Clinician for the All-Tucson Choral Festival: Tucson, November 2007, 2008, 2009.
- “The Biblical Structure of Handel’s Messiah.” A 13-Week Adult Forum presented at Rincon Mountain Presbyterian Church: Tucson, Summer 2007.
- “Music in Covenantal Family Worship.” An Adult Forum presented at Rincon Mountain Presbyterian Church: Tucson, July 2006.
- “Towards a Biblical Aesthetic.” An Adult Forum presented at Rincon Mountain Presbyterian Church: Tucson, May 2006.
- “What to ‘do’ in New Testament Worship.” An Adult Forum presented at Rincon Mountain Presbyterian Church: Tucson, April 2006.
- “Covenantal Parameters in Old Testament Worship.” An Adult Forum presented at Rincon Mountain Presbyterian Church: Tucson, March 2006.
- “The Singing Congregation.” A 13-Week Adult Forum presented at Rincon Mountain Presbyterian Church: Tucson, Fall 2006.
- “Our Secure Identity in Christ.” The Keynote Commencement Address at Wheaton Academy: West Chicago, May 2005.
- Adjudicator for IMEA All-State Auditions: Chicago, October 2000-2004
- Guest Clinician for Regional ASCI Choral Festival: Glen Elm, February 2001.
Fall 2014 Courses
COR100 The Christian Mind
MUS171 Introduction to Musical Style
MUS193 Covenant Chorale
MUS195 Madrigal Singers
MUS371 Hist of Western Music to 1700
MUS372 Hist Western Music 1700-1900