Chapel & Missions
"Covenant challenges me spiritually. Professors, friends, and chapel speakers continually remind me that I am a sinner in need of God’s grace."
–Lindsay Hoffman '13
Covenant's chapel program serves the central purpose of bringing the entire campus community together around the Word of God, through regular expositional preaching, thematic and topical application, and integrative connection with the academic program. Highlights for 2010-2011 included:
- Chaplain Aaron Messner's year-long series on the Psalms, conjoined with beautiful, unaccompanied Psalms-singing;
- The annual faculty series "Worshipping God in the Academy";
- The annual Neal Conference with musical artists Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken and keynote speaker Rev. Sunder Krishnan, teaching pastor at Rexdale Alliance Church in Toronto. Rev. Krishnan spoke on the centrality of the Word, prayer, and corporate worship in the life of the believer;
- Global Gospel Advancement Week, in partnership with the PCA Global Mission Conference held in Chattanooga. On-campus speakers were Deborah Dortzbach, medical missionary in Africa; Rev. Turgay Ucal, national pastor of Istanbul Presbyterian Church; and Dr. Michael Oh, president and founder of Christ Bible Seminary in Nagoya, Japan. More than 150 Covenant students attended the PCA Global Mission Conference as volunteers and participants, and several Covenant faculty members led conference seminars;
- The Marriage, Family and Community Conference with Rev. Thabiti Anyabwile, pastor of First Baptist Church, Grand Cayman, speaking on "A Biblical Theology of Singleness";
- Chapel messages posted on the College iTunes U site;
- More than 50 students participating in Break on Impact mission trips to Greece, Spain, Haiti, and the Yakama Indian Reservation in WA;
- The ministry of our discipleship coordinators (one on each residence hall) under Christiana Fitzpatrick's leadership.