Research Assistant for Institutional Research
The Research Assistant reports to the Assistant Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness (AVPIE) and is responsible for all surveys and assessments as determined by the AVPIE, including data collection, entry, and processing. The Research Assistant must develop and maintain a good working relationship with the faculty. He/she also must be able to work independently to achieve timely reporting and make important decisions regarding assessing and improving student learning outcomes. Additional responsibilities include collecting various assessment data and organizing the effective administration of the office.
- Assess student learning outcomes every semester using online course evaluations.
- Administration of course evaluations includes deciding on dates, setting up survey groups, overseeing the evaluation schedule, and creating and delivering appropriate communication to faculty and students for optimum participation.
- Assess the evaluation process, and research and implement improvements.
- Develop tools and procedures as needed and use them to creatively engage faculty and students to improve the evaluation process.
- Meet individually with faculty as needed to explain the proper use of the tool both in terms of choosing appropriate objectives and improving classroom pedagogy.
- Plan and oversee freshman assessment during Orientation and junior/senior testing for Assessment Day (Spring semester),
- Assessment of students includes arranging schedules/rooms, engaging with faculty and staff to set up cohorts, ordering testing materials, arranging and directing proctoring staff, participating in proctoring, and downloading and analyzing results.
- Coordinate administration of online assessments with Tech Services and other coordinating departments.
- Assess the assessment process, and research and implement improvements.
- Oversee the collection of assessment reports from both academic and non-academic departments (e.g., Biology Department, Admissions, Records).
- Manage and respond to requests for institutional data
- Outside requests - IPEDS, the Common Data Set, and other agencies or organizations where institutional data is required.
- Internal requests –faculty, staff, departments, and offices of Covenant College
- Assist in the maintenance of an institutional fact book and an institutional research website.
- Monitor the Institutional Research budget and process requisitions and requests for reimbursements.
- When necessary, perform basic calculations of descriptive or inferential statistics.
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by the AVPIE
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with various constituencies of the college, both internal and external.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work with many personality types.
- Intermediate aptitude and knowledge of personal computer software with a special emphasis on Microsoft Excel/Google sheets.
- Aptitude for and willingness to learn basic descriptive quantitative data analysis, database querying, and other forms of technical information retrieval skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong initiative to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (such as educational psychology, educational administration, social science, economics, statistics, mathematics, or a field with a focus on quantitative methods, evaluation, and assessment)
- Proficiency with Google Apps or Microsoft Office Suite.
- An acceptance of and commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- An understanding of the mission and purpose of Covenant College
- Must be able to assent to Covenant College’s Staff Commitments
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT
- This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines for at least 75% of the work day.
- Remain in a standing or stationary position at least 50% of the work day.
- Letter of interest
- Statement of faith