Turfgrass Maintenance Groundskeeper
Campus Grounds Supervisor
The Turfgrass Maintenance Groundskeeper is responsible to the Campus Grounds Supervisor in assisting with managing the health and vitality of athletic turf through responsible and proactive fertilization, weed control, pest control, seeding, aerating, top dressing and other agronomic health practices.
- Create and support standards and procedures regarding athletic field and campus turf health strategies for departmental effectiveness, scheduling, and turf upkeep.
- Ensure the completion of all cultivating activities needed for healthy turf, including fertilizing, aerating, vertical mowing, topdressing, chemical spraying, etc.
- Assist in performing daily field inspections to evaluate turf conditions, i.e., identifying potential problems, diagnosing stress, insect, and disease issues.
- Assist with the regular mowing, trimming, lining and game preparation of athletic fields as needed.
- Ensure the proper operation and maintenance of campus and athletic field irrigation systems.
- Assist in supporting the planning of renewal projects by evaluating athletic and campus turf with an emphasis on how to improve quality, vitality, and aesthetic beauty.
- Assist in the maintenance and repair of landscape structures on and around athletic fields, which includes bleachers, signs, gates, fences, culverts, drains, curbs, sidewalks, steps, rails, roads and parking lots.
- Assist in training, managing, and motivating work study student labor in all work and safety matters. Manage labor performance to ensure that work practices remain consistent with all safety, quality, and department policy expectations, inspecting the quality of work completed.
- Assist in ensuring that the shop work area and work sites around campus are kept in a safe and orderly manner.
- Assist in overseeing all areas of safety procedures and policies, as well as the maintenance of MSDS information. Participate as needed in the development and implementation of the safety and emergency response plans for inclement weather, particularly for winter storms.
- Assist in managing work with outside vendors, as well as tracking supplies and materials in relation to keeping the department within budget. Assist in the development of annual athletic field budgets and goals, assessing progress periodically.
- Seek to gain a working knowledge of agronomic turf health issues with knowledge of entomology, pathology, edaphology and culture practices and influences, watching for long term care issues as they relate to athletic and campus turf (i.e. diseases, erosion, pests, etc.).
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Ability to relate to others in a cooperative, professional and mature Christian manner, demonstrating good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to drive college vehicles for errands, special events, and shuttle service.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment and lifts, including but not limited to an articulating boom lift, backhoe, and tractors
- High school diploma
- Pesticide applicator license or the ability to obtain
- Knowledgeable in managing cool and warm season grasses for athletic fields and campus lawns
- Experience with irrigation system maintenance and general equipment maintenance
- Experience and knowledge in applying fertilizers, pesticides, etc. and calibrating equipment
- Working knowledge of Google applications (e.g. Docs, Sheets, etc.)
- Experience in turf maintenance with athletic competition fields
- Experience with synthetic turf
- Bachelor’s degree and specialization in turfgrass management and/or a related field
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- An acceptance of and commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- An understanding of the mission and purpose of Covenant College.
- Must be able to assent to Covenant College’s Staff Commitments.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
PHYSICAL WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Standing and walking for the majority of the day
- Lifting, pushing, carrying, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, climbing, balancing, reaching, handling, fingering, feeling at least 50% of the day.
- Sitting less than 10% of the day
- Lifting up to 50 lbs. regularly
- Environmental conditions: humidity, heat, cold, wet conditions, noise, and vibration
Interested applicants should submit the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of interest
- Statement of faith & Christian experience