Athletics May 2021 Highlights
by Alumni Office Staff
June 1, 2021
in Campus News
- Men’s Tennis finished the year 13-6 overall and capped the season with its first appearance in the USA South Tournament championship match. Ethan Gibson ’22 and Austin Dreslinski ’24 both earned USA South All-Tournament honors. The Scots captured the USA South West Division regular season title for a third time after going 5-0 in conference play.
- Baseball completed its season in early May and went 19-14 overall. Alex Gonzalez ’21 earned USA South All-West Division first team honors while Brooks DuBose ’21, Hunter Christian ’22, and Joseph Ridenour ’22 were second team selections.
- Softball placed a program-record six on All-USA South teams. Jordan Holman ’23 earned first team All-USA South and first team All-West Division honors at shortstop. Faith Manning ’21, Lauren Kierpa ’22, Vanessa Davis ’24, Makenna Dance ’24, and Tori Layfield ’24 were all selected to the USA South All-West Division second team. Holman also became the first player in program history to collect NFCA All-Atlantic Region first team honors.
- Women’s Soccer had three players earn United Soccer Coaches Scholar All-South Region honors, and Kailey Burrell ’22 was named as a Scholar All-American. Burrell also earned Scholar All-South Region along with Kendyll Freeman ’21 and Grace Herring ’21. Burrell is the first Scholar All-American for the program in the NCAA era.
- Track & Field wrapped up the season with two athletes competing at the Montreat Last Chance on May 7. Ben Mellott ’23 broke his own program record in the 5,000-meter event with a time of 15:22.31.
- Both Cross Country teams were honored by the USTFCCCA as Team Academic Award recipients. It is the eighth straight year that both Covenant teams earned those awards.
- The 3rd annual Highlander Cup golf tournament is set for June 26, 2021 at McLemore Golf. Registration and details for the event can be found here.