Athletics Spring 2021 Highlights
by Alumni Office staff
April 1, 2021
in Campus News
While the Covenant Scots were unable to compete this fall due to COVID-19 restrictions, we're back this spring playing as hard as ever! Here are some highlights from the spring season.
- Both Cross Country teams captured USA South West Division championships on February 26. Sophomore Ben Mellott was the individual champion on the men's side and both teams had seven runners earn All-USA South West honors.
- Baseball is off to a 12-6 start and will begin conference play in April.
- Softball is 12-12 overall and has won 12 of its last 16 games. The Scots defeated traditional powerhouse Emory for the first time in program history on March 11.
- Women's Tennis is off to an 8-2 start, the best 10-match start to a season in program history. The Scots are 3-0 in USA South play.
- Men's Tennis is also off to a great start as the Scots stand at 6-3 overall and 2-0 in conference matches.
- Men's Soccer wrapped up the regular season on March 20 and enters the USA South West Division Tournament on April 3 with a 5-2 overall record.
- Women's Soccer concludes regular season play in late March and is 4-3-1 overall.
- Volleyball started the season 4-0 for the first time since 2014.
- Track & Field is halfway through its season, and both teams have set multiple program records.
- Men's Golf had its best finish of the year (third) at the Golden Tigers Spring Invite in mid-March. The Scots have one more tournament before the USA South Tournament in late April.
- Men's Basketball qualified for the USA South West Division Tournament and finished the year 10-9 overall. Will Crumly (first team) and Chris Barnette (second team) earned All-USA South West Division honors.
- Women's Basketball concluded the year by winning seven of its last nine games. Freshman Destiny Mergilles was named to the All-USA South West Division first team.