Professor of Elementary Education
On Faculty Since 2004
The TEP at Covenant College provides a robust Elementary Education preparation that balances best practices in the field (content and pedagogical knowledge and skills for emergent literacy and writing; mathematics, science, and social studies, etc.) with a well-constructed and integrative theological framework that informs instruction and practice. Our program strives - and succeeds - in producing instructional practitioners who are classroom ready for diverse school contexts - public, private, Christian, international.
- BS Early Childhood Education - Georgia State University - 1976
- M.Ed Integrated Curriculum and Instruction - Covenant College - 1998
- M.Phil Educational Research - University of Cambridge - 2002
- PhD Teacher Education - University of Cambridge - 2004
Interests / Specialization
- Charlotte Mason (1842-1923) philosophy and pedagogy
- Integrated curriculum design and implementation
- Instructional leadership
- Social Emotional Learning
- Responsive Classroom model
Selected Professional Work
- Monograph series for Charlotte Mason Centenary (July 2023) –
University of Cumbria, UK. Strike the Shepherd: From
Continuance to Dissolution in a post-Charlotte Mason World – Four Principals’ Experiences (1923-1960).
- The Blue Open Door. (2021) A training model for teachers and school
Leaders in Charlotte Mason schools. Prospectus and PPT recording developed for the Charlotte Mason Institute for Fall 2023.
- Beckman, J. (Fall 2021). Teaching as an act of storytelling. Covenant
College View. Faculty View. p. 23.
- Beckman, J. (2012). “Faithful presence” – Dissonance and
distinctive in the work of the school head. Christian Educators Journal. 51(2). 22-24.
- Beckman, J., Drexler, J., & Eames, K (2012). “Faithful presence” –
The Christian school head, personhood, relationships, and outcomes. Journal of School Choice. 6(1). 1-24.
Get to know your professor
Q. Favorite movie?
A.Jeremiah Johnson (Look it up. It is worth it.)
Q. What is one thing that instantly makes your day better?
A.Talking to or hanging out with grandchildren...
If you could teach any other major, what would it be?
A. Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) because I see the interconnectedness of everything.
Q. Personal Interests/Hobbies
A. Trail running; storytelling to anyone who will listen; voracious reading appetite; building boxforts with my grandchildren; Charlotte Mason leading and guiding