Assistant Professor of French
On Faculty Since 2023
Covenant offers a unique chance to study, from a Christian perspective, the richly diverse cultural and linguistic heritage that exists in the French-speaking world. From the Caribbean to Canada to Europe to Africa, students of French engage with a vast array of places and peoples, enlarging their horizons. And with more Francophones from across the globe residing in the U.S. now than ever before, what an opportunity for us to love, serve, and learn from our neighbors!
- PhD, Vanderbilt University
- MA, Boston College
- BA, University of Rhode Island
Interests / Specialization
- Medieval and Early Modern Comedy in France
- Representation of Religion in Literature
- Colonialism and Postcolonialism in Francophone Literature
- Literary Theory
- Digital Humanities
Selected Professional Work
- “Cynocéphales: (Ab)Uses of a Medieval Trope in Several French Texts of the Modern Era.” The Year’s Work in Medievalism 35.36 (2020-2021): 95-111.
- “Edmond Picard and the Congo Free State: A Study in Law and Literature.” Humanities 12(1) (2023): https://doi.org/10.3390/h12010017.
- “The Use of Medievalism in Colonial and Postcolonial Contexts: Contrasting Examples in Francophone Literature.” Podcast Interview for the Multicultural Middle Ages Podcast (Medieval Academy of America). 25 March 2023.
- “Beyond Medieval Europe: Using Digital Analysis of Parody and Satire to Move Toward an International Perspective.” Medieval Academy of America Annual Meeting. Washington D.C. 23-26 February 2023.
- “Patrick Chamoiseau’s Parodic Recovery of Courtly Love in About d’enfance”. 36th Conference of the International Society for the Study of Medievalism. Boone, NC. 20-22 October 2022.
Get to know your professor
Q. What is one thing that instantly makes your day better?
A. Seeing my wife and children happy.
Q. If you could teach any other major, what would it be?
A. English or Film Studies
Q. Personal Interests/Hobbies
A. Spending time with family or friends, learning how to fix things around the house, playing or listening to music, watching and analyzing films, taking walks, traveling