The purpose of the education department at Covenant College is to prepare competent and compassionate teachers who practice their profession according to biblical guidelines in diverse educational settings. Candidates develop the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to become teachers who model life-long learning and faithful service to God as change-agents in society.
The education department offers both undergraduate and graduate programs that lead to initial teacher certification in elementary, middle grades, and secondary education along with a variety of secondary content certifications. The elementary education major can also receive a special education endorsement. Additionally, Covenant offers an 11-month Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program. Our programs are academically rigorous and pedagogically current with a strong emphasis on field experiences.
In all programs, we strive to teach, learn, and lead in light of the admonition of Colossians 1:18 so that in all things Jesus Christ will have supremacy. We believe there is a profound difference between a teacher or leader who happens to be a Christian and a Christian educator who understands that everything is part of a larger, divine story. By God’s grace, we strive to produce Christian educators who are guided by the biblical story of creation, fall, redemption, and restoration.
Graduates from Covenant are now teaching and leading in public, private, and Christian schools around the US and in multiple foreign countries. We have learned over the years that when a school hires one of our graduates, the administration usually comes back looking for more Covenant grads to hire.
The education department offers a unique teacher placement service that assists students in obtaining a teaching position after graduation.
Teacher Placement Services include:
- Creation of a credentials file
- Distribution of a credentials file per request
- Annual teacher recruitment event
- Electronic database of teacher vacancies
- Electronic directory of teacher candidates sent to schools
Dr. Donaldson’s humility and her desire for us to learn the material well is so inspiring. She puts so much effort and care into what she teaches and into her students. This makes me want to become like her one day when I become a teacher.
Programs & Features
The education department offers two undergraduate programs: Elementary Education Early Childhood and Education Studies. Additionally, a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) can be completed at Covenant.
An education minor is open to all students, but specifically recommended for students intending to enroll in the MAT program.
The Covenant College Teacher Education Program is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). Upon graduation, students are eligible for the teacher certification in the state of Georgia as well as certification through the ACSI.
Students interested in pursuing teacher certification in Elementary Education (P-5) will enroll in EDU 121 Introduction to Teaching in the freshman year, if possible. This course provides an introduction to and exploration of teaching as a profession and includes 30 hours of field experience, which requires the student to pass a background check.
At the conclusion of EDU 405 Senior Field Experience and upon successful completion of coursework and fieldwork, Teacher Candidates will be granted Approval for Clinical Practice.
Clinical Practice should be considered equivalent to full-time employment. Students should be largely free from other demands on their time.
- EDU 222 Educational Psychology
- EDU 234 Teaching in a Pluralistic Society
- EDU 361 Education of Exceptional Children
- EDU 427 Diagnosis and Remediation of Math Difficulties
- EDU 454 Organization and Management of the Elementary Grades Classroom
Meet the Education Faculty
Amy Bagby Associate Professor of Education
Jack Beckman Professor of Elementary Education
Sarah Donaldson Professor of Education
Jim Drexler Dean of the Graduate School of Education
Lindsey Fain Associate Dean of the Graduate School of Education and Certification Official
Rebecca Pennington Professor of Education
Elaine Tinholt Professor of Education
Ready to take the next step?
Thank you for your interest in Covenant! By filling out this form, we'll be able to connect you with the best information regarding your program of interest, as well as your Admissions Counselor.
Undergraduate Departments, Majors, Minors, Certificates, Concentrations, and Programs
- Arts Administration
- Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability
- Journalism and Society
- Medical Ethics Consultation
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Art, 2-D Concentration
- Art, 3-D Concentration
- Art, Art History Concentration
- Art, Graphic Design Concentration
- Art, Photography Concentration
- Art minor
- Art History minor
- Biblical & Theological Studies
- Biblical & Theological Studies, Missions Concentration
- Biblical & Theological Studies minor
- Biblical Languages minor
- History of Christianity minor
- Missions minor
- Youth Ministry minor
- Biology, Biomedical Concentration
- Biology, Environmental Concentration
- Biology, General
- Biology, Health Professions Concentration
- Biology minor
- Business, Accounting Concentration
- Business, Finance Concentration
- Business, Marketing Concentration
- Sport Management
- Business minor
- Sport Management minor
- Chemistry, Biochemistry Concentration
- Chemistry, General
- Biochemistry minor
- Chemistry minor
- Computer Science
- Computer Science minor
- Community Development
- Community Development minor
- Economics minor
- Education Studies
- Elementary Education (P-5)
- Secondary Education Certifications through MAT program
- Education minor
- Natural Science, Pre-Engineering Studies Concentration
- English, Writing Concentration
- English minor
- Writing minor
- Coaching minor
- History, Art History Concentration
- Political Science
- International Studies
- History minor
- Political Science minor
- Interdisciplinary Studies with Concentrations
- Mathematics minor
- Music, Church Music Concentration
- Music, Creative Studies Concentration
- Music, General Music Concentration
- Music, Instrumental Performance Concentration
- Music, Music Education (Pre-MAT) Concentration
- Music, Organ Performance Concentration
- Music, Piano Pedagogy Concentration
- Music, Piano Performance Concentration
- Music, Vocal Performance Concentration
- Music minor
- Philosophy minor
- Physics minor
- Pre-Law Studies
- Pre-Medical Studies
- Pre-Nursing Studies
- Pre-Physical Therapy Studies
- Psychology minor
- Sociology, Family Studies & Social Work Concentration
- Sociology minor
- Theatre minor
- French minor
- Spanish minor