Commencement is a momentous occasion when we at Covenant join our graduates and their families and friends in celebrating the accomplishments of these last years, thanking God for His grace and provision, and looking ahead to His purposes in the lives of our graduates. At Covenant, we earnestly believe that the One "who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
Commencement will be held at the Chattanooga Convention Center in downtown Chattanooga. Below you will find information on our upcoming commencement exercises and related events. We look forward to families and friends joining us for this celebration!
We are pleased to welcome our own Dr. Kelly M. Kapic, professor of theological studies, as the speaker for our 68th annual commencement. With a PhD in Systematic and Historical Theology from King’s College University of London, Dr. Kapic has written or edited over fifteen books. His new book You’re Only Human: How Your Limits Reflect God’s Design and Why that’s Good News (Brazos, 2022) has won a number of awards, including Christianity Today’s Book of the Year award in the category of Theology (Popular) and The Southwestern Journal of Theology’s award in Applied Theology/Ethics. His earlier work includes Embodied Hope: A Theological Meditation on Pain and Suffering, which also won the Christianity Today book of the year award in the area of Theology and Ethics and World Magazine’s Short List award for Accessible Theology Book of the year. He also recently completed two volumes with the economist Brian Fikkert called Becoming Whole: Why the Opposite of Poverty isn’t the American Dream and A Field Guide to Becoming Whole: Principles for Poverty Alleviation Ministries. In 2014 Kelly received a Templeton Grant to be part of The Center for Christian Thought studying the topic of Psychology and Spiritual Formation. He has served as part of the Core Research Teams for the Templeton funded studies called “Project Amazing Grace''and “Christian Meaning-Making, Suffering and the Flourishing Life,” and currently he is working with a Templeton team researching the practice of lament.
Thursday, May 4, 2023, 7:00 p.m
Dora Maclellan Brown Memorial Chapel
The concert is free and open to the public.
Presidential Reception & Alumni Induction
Friday, May 5, 2023, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Graduating seniors and their families are invited for fellowship and hors d'oeuvres. President Halvorson's remarks will begin at 7:30. Graduating seniors will receive their graduation mugs and learn more about the Alumni Office. In the event of rain, the reception will be held in the Great Hall. Invitations to graduating seniors are forthcoming. Shuttle services will be available during this event.
Graduate School of Education Luncheon
Saturday, May 6, 2023, 11:30 am in Rooms 13 and 14 of the Chattanooga Convention Center
Graduate students and their families are invited to this luncheon with the graduate faculty. Invitations will be sent to graduates.
Covenant College's 68th Commencement
Saturday, May 6, 2023, 3:00 p.m.
Chattanooga Convention Center
1 Carter Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402
Tickets are not required to attend commencement.
Event Parking: There will be $8.00 parking available in the parking garage shared by the Convention Center and the Marriott Hotel. The entrance to the parking garage is off of Carter Street, between the hotel and convention center. The hotel address is 2 Carter Plaza, Chattanooga, TN 37402. There will also be pay-by-meter parking on the surrounding streets.
Click here for hotel and bed & breakfast recommendations.
Commencement will be livestreamed at covenant.edu/stream.
Graduates participating in Covenant's 68th Commencement will be photographed by GradImages. Once pictures are available, they can be ordered online, by phone, or by mail. GradImages can be contacted at 800.261.2576 or online. Graduates who use the pre-event registration option will be notified when proofs are ready to view.
Graduate School of Education
Undergraduate Departments, Majors, Minors, Certificates, Concentrations, and Programs
- Arts Administration
- Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability
- Journalism and Society
- Medical Ethics Consultation
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Art, 2-D Concentration
- Art, 3-D Concentration
- Art, Art History Concentration
- Art, Graphic Design Concentration
- Art, Photography Concentration
- Art minor
- Art History minor
Biblical & Theological Studies
- Biblical & Theological Studies
- Biblical & Theological Studies, Missions Concentration
- Biblical & Theological Studies minor
- Biblical Languages minor
- History of Christianity minor
- Missions minor
- Youth Ministry minor
- Biology, Biomedical Concentration
- Biology, Environmental Concentration
- Biology, General
- Biology, Health Professions Concentration
- Biology minor
- Business, Accounting Concentration
- Business, Finance Concentration
- Business, Marketing Concentration
- Sport Management
- Business minor
- Sport Management minor
- Chemistry, Biochemistry Concentration
- Chemistry, General
- Biochemistry minor
- Chemistry minor
- Computer Science
- Computer Science minor
Economics & Community Development
- Community Development
- Community Development minor
- Economics minor
- Education Studies
- Elementary Education (P-5)
- Secondary Education Certifications through MAT program
- Education minor
Engineering 3:2 Program
- Natural Science, Pre-Engineering Studies Concentration
- English, Writing Concentration
- English minor
- Writing minor
Health, Wellness and Coaching
- Coaching minor
History, Politics, and International Studies
- History, Art History Concentration
- Political Science
- International Studies
- History minor
- Political Science minor
- Interdisciplinary Studies with Concentrations
- Mathematics minor
- Music, Church Music Concentration
- Music, Creative Studies Concentration
- Music, General Music Concentration
- Music, Instrumental Performance Concentration
- Music, Music Education (Pre-MAT) Concentration
- Music, Organ Performance Concentration
- Music, Piano Pedagogy Concentration
- Music, Piano Performance Concentration
- Music, Vocal Performance Concentration
- Music minor
- Philosophy minor
- Physics minor
- Pre-Law Studies
- Pre-Medical Studies
- Pre-Nursing Studies
- Pre-Physical Therapy Studies
- Psychology minor
- Sociology, Family Studies & Social Work Concentration
- Sociology minor
- Theatre minor
- French minor
- Spanish minor